Search This Blog

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Thanks, Mom and Dad!

Since Tim was filling in at Cygnet on Saturday night, I went to the South Shore for a visit...and dinner (shocking, I know!!).  Let me preface my experience with some background about Mom and Dad.  

First of all, they are small business owners, and while it's not a restaurant, they do make food (candy!), so you readers should check out their Hingham-based candy store, Puopolo Candies, next time you are on the South Shore.  Being small business owners, my parents work extremely hard and late at night, so one dining requirement for them is finding a restaurant that serves later.  Then, they have two other requirements: 1) Simple, classic, American is better.  Simple, classic, American with a bar is even better than better.  (They have become BSers (Bar Sitters) throughout the years.)  2) Seafood must be served.  I honestly cannot remember the last time my dad ordered something other than fish at a restaurant.  

So, now that you have a glimpse into the lives of the 'rents, you have much better context for last night's dining experience.  I arrived on the South Shore around 9pm (partly my fault for the lateness, but Mom and Dad did not object).  On the way, Mom and I had the typical, "Where do we eat at this hour?" conversation even though we know where we can eat at that hour.  (We tend to frequent the same places.)  So, I was shocked when my mom responded with a newer choice that I had never heard them mention before: Stockholders on Main Street (Route 18) in South Weymouth.  I jumped at the chance to try something new, so I headed over to meet them.

What I Liked:  Upon walking in, there was a 30 to 40 minute wait at 9pm!!! While this might be a turn-off for some people, I appreciated it.  Business that late - and people who are willing to wait at that hour - means that the dining experience must be worth it.  I immediately noticed the layout of the restaurant.  The openness made it unique to any place that I have experienced in a long a time.  As I mentioned, my parents are BSers (as am I - apple doesn't fall far from the tree), so we like the feel of the bar area.  The cool part about Stockholders is that you can sit in the dining room, but not feel completely secluded.  Separating the main dining room from the bar area are two ginormous (sure, it can be a word on my blog) fish tanks, so you are still involved in the lively atmosphere of the bar, but it is a little quieter.  There is live entertainment in a separate room off of the other side of the bar (away from the dining room), but speakers amplify the music, so the bar was loud and not meant for family conversation with aging parents (kidding, Mom and Dad!).  The dining room worked out perfect for us - we could hear the entertainment, but we could also hear each other.  That being said, my parents have sat at the bar before (of course), and they enjoyed that experience equally.  I think the bottom line is that you can sit anywhere in Stockholders and be happy with your choice.

Recommendations:  Ahhh, the food!  All of it.  And, there's a LOT. My dad ordered the baked scrod (lightly buttered with bread crumbs), which came with a choice of potato and vegetable (baked and squash for Dad).  His review, "The fish was real good."  I think his actions spoke louder than words, though, as he cleared his entire plate of food.  Now, Stockholders prides itself on its steak and seafood (being a steak/chophouse), so, of course, my mom and I both ordered the pasta special - which came with chicken.  The dish was a penne with artichokes, mushrooms, scallions, and sauteed chicken in a red pepper cream sauce.  My mom was sold on the description up to the red pepper cream sauce, and I was interested minus the scallions.  The kitchen was accommodating to our preferences and was willing to go scallion-less for us, and Mom was brave and tried the sauce.  When our meals arrived, my mom and I were absolutely awed.  The portion was massive, and the flavor was amazing.  Mom even raved about the red pepper cream sauce (not too heavy at all).  My favorite part about the dish was the sauteed chicken, which was lightly breaded and cooked to perfection.  My dad even put on his brave face and tried a piece, which he agreed was cooked excellent, but "too garlic-y" for him.  (Dad has an aversion to garlic.)  I enjoyed the food so much, I couldn't wait to have a late night snack when I got home...and then breakfast. (I couldn't write this without diving back in!)  For some final words about the food at Stockholders, I should not end this blog post without mentioning the steak.  While my family did not partake in the steak last night, I did take a glimpse around the bar and dining area to note that several people were enjoying the prime rib and other steaks.  The prime rib was probably one of the largest pieces of meat that I have ever seen at a restaurant, so bring your appetite when you head over to Stockholders!  And make it a point to head over sometime soon...
Leftovers. Mmmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment